This cake has a few things going for it more than just being gluten free. The polenta adds a nice texture that you aren’t use to but you find yourself enjoying very much.
The orange blossom not only adds a great scent but a layer of complexity as well. It will also impress your friends too, so there is that.
- 200 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 200 g demerara sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 200 g ground almonds
- 100 g coarse polenta
- 2 oranges, zested
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
For the syrup:
- 1 cup orange juice , (from about 3-4 oranges)
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 125 g honey
Preheat oven to 350F. Cream Butter and sugar in mixer until fluffy.
Combine the ground almonds, orange zest, orange blossom water and baking powder, then stir into creamed butter and sugar.
Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.
Remove pan ad let cool before cutting (this cake will be very delicate until it has cooled off).
Make the syrup by simmering the ingredients in a pan for 10 minutes and pour over the cake.